Hot off the presses - a video/audio player for Plone
I've just released a first beta of collective.flowplayer. This is a lightweight Plone integration layer for Flowplayer, a most excellent, GPL'd Flash-based player for FLV (Flash Video) and MP3 (audio) files.
I'm quite excited about this for a few reasons:
- The integration is quite seamless - you just upload a FLV or MP3 file as a standard File object, and you'll get a video player. There's no special content type, and no complex configuration.
- It works with ZODB blobs.
- You can get playlists for Folders or Collections.
- You can put videos in portlets.
- You can put video content into your content pages, with Kupu integration.
- Flowplayer is highly configurable. collective.flowplayer exposes virtually all of its configuration through a property sheet in portal_properties, allowing you to do things like apply a custom watermark or a default splash image.
I also quite enjoyed writing it. There's some nice jQuery code that means you can write pretty simple markup and get graceful degradation for your video content.
Thanks to Lukasz Lakomy for Flash Video, which provided by inspiration and a module to extract metadata from FLV files.